By Graham Scambler
The second section analyses features of sport in detail:
- The links between exercise, sport and health, including a look at growing rates of obesity and of the role of drug use in society and sport
- The hyper-commodification of football in the 1990s
- Representations of sport in the media
- Sports iconography, with sociological portraits of Muhammad Ali and David Beckham
- The re-emergence of violence in sport
This is key reading for students and researchers in sociology of sport and leisure, sport science and health.