Dangerous Work Not OK for Minors

Article excerpt

Byline: ON THE JOB Bureau of Labor & Industries The Register-Guard

Question: I'd like to hire my neighbor's 16-year-old daughter to drive for my delivery service. Her 17-year-old brother also needs a job, and there is an opening at my friend's sawmill. Can we hire them?

Answer: No. Generally you would need to wait for a candidate to turn 18 years old to fill either of these positions.

First, any person under 18 years old is considered a minor under state and federal wage laws.

There are strict regulations as to how much and what kind of work minors are allowed to perform.

For example, 16- and 17-year-olds can work any time of the day or night, but they may not work more than 44 hours in a week.

Second, remember that before you put any minor to work you must apply to the Bureau of Labor and Industries for an "Annual Employment Certificate." You can download an application for this form from the Web.

Sixteen- and 17-year-olds are limited in the kind of work they can perform. There are federal and state regulations that list all of the tasks that are considered too dangerous for these workers.

This list is called "Occupations Particularly Hazardous for the Employment of Minors between 16 and 18 Years of Age or Detrimental to Their Well-Being."

It can be found on our Web site at www.oregon.gov/boli/whd/clu or the federal Department of Labor Web site at www.dol.gov.

Here are just a few of the "hazardous occupations" in which minors cannot be employed:

Driving a motor vehicle on a public road. …