We helped municipal officials share great ideas by ...
* Hosting the 83rd Annual Congress of Cities and Exposition for more than 5,600 people in Reno, Nev., featuring four general sessions; 42 workshops; more than 375 exhibits; mobile workshops; meetings of NLC's Board,Advisory Council, panels, councils, committees and constituency groups; and formal and informal networking opportunities.
* Providing TV coverage on National City Network of general sessions at the Congress of Cities and conversations with officials about award-winning city projects.
* Convening the first meeting of NLC's new School Improvement Task Force.
* Convening NLC's Council on Youth, Education, and Families (YEF) to discuss President Bart Peterson's media violence initiative and to develop a new strategic plan for NLC's YEF Institute.
* Conducting cross-site meetings for eight cities participating in an afterschool technical assistance project and five cities involved in a project to expand options and alternatives for students who struggle in a traditional high school setting.
* Sponsoring an Afterschool Leadership Academy for 50 municipal leaders and collaborating with the Freddie Mac Foundation and the Metropolitan Council of Washington Governments to sponsor a Cities Supporting Parents of Young Children Leadership Academy for 60 officials.
* Hosting audioconferences for more than 300 participants on municipal strategies to familiarize residents with the Earned Income Tax Credit, protect the safety of children and youth, promote youth engagement and participation in local government, and encourage residents to save a portion of their tax refunds.
* Conducting workshops at conferences of the National Community Tax Coalition and the National Transitional Jobs Network.
* Hosting meetings of the Education Policy and the Afterschool Policy Advisors Networks.
* Selecting 14 cities to participate in the first Combating Childhood Obesity Leadership Academy.
We provided resources to solve city problems by ...
* Welcoming more than 5,000 visitors to National City Network.
* Publishing several helpful research reports: the 2006 NLC Futures Report on Economic Vitality, Your City's Success in a Changing Economy;Tapping the Power of City Hall to Build Equitable Communities: 10 City Profiles; Tapping the Power of City Hall to Build Equitable Communities: 17 Promising Practices; Vital Partners: Mayors and Police Chiefs Working Together for America's Children and Youth: City Fiscal Conditions 2006; Guide to Successful Local Government Collaboration in America's Regions; Guidebook on Building Democratic Governance; and the State of America's Cities Survey on Housing.
* Publishing NLC municipal action guides on greenroofs, municipal workforce housing, partnerships for economic vitality, and building on your city's strengths.
* Releasing an action kit for municipal leaders on combating childhood obesity.
We helped municipal officials sharpen their leadership skills by ...
* Conducting a regional Leadership Training Institute program on "Economic Growth and Development: Self-Interest or Public Interest?" as well as "Dilemmas and Decisions: Practical Ethics for Public Life" in conjunction …