We protected the rights and resources of municipalities by ...
* Securing $3.6 billion in funding in the fiscal year 2008 federal budget for the Community Development Block Grant Program, $600 million above the President's FY 2008 request.
* Securing $40.2 billion in funding in the fiscal year 2008 federal budget for surface transportation programs, $631 million above the President's FY 2008 budget.
* Securing $587 million in funding in the fiscal year 2008 federal budget for the Community Oriented Policing Services program, 94 percent above the President's FY 2008 budget request.
* Helping defeat legislation that would force local governments to negotiate with public safety unions over the terms and conditions of employment for first-responder employees.
* Helping defeat legislation that would prohibit local governments from using eminent domain for public purposes consistent with the U.S. Constitution.
* Helping enact legislation that extended the internet tax moratorium temporarily rather than permanently.
* Testifying at a House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee hearing on the Clean Water Act.
We helped municipal officials share great ideas by ...
* Hosting the 84th Annual Congress of Cities and Exposition for more than 5,000 people in New Orleans, featuring four general sessions; 36 workshops; more than 350 exhibits; 18 mobile workshops; 20 Leadership Training Institute seminars; meetings of NLC's Board, Advisory Council, panels, councils, committees and constituency groups; and formal and informal networking opportunities. Several community service projects were also organized, including a playground development project with KaBOOM! and a housing project with Habitat for Humanity. More than 250 officials participated in these projects.
* Providing NLC TV coverage at www.nlctv.org of general sessions and interviews from the Congress of Cities and a monthly newscast about cities.
* Hosting an organizational meeting of a consortium of first tier suburbs organizations.
* Announcing Awards for Municipal Excellence to eight cities.
* Hosting the annual City Showcase at the Congress of Cities with nearly 50 interactive exhibits.
* Providing technical advice to 23 cities at Downtown Revitalization Clinics at the Congress of Cities.
* Assisting a four-city learning community in implementing recommendations from NLC's Platform for Strengthening Families.
* Hosting four audio conferences for more than 380 listeners on Taking City Initiatives to Scale, Collaborating to Reduce Gang and Youth Violence, Helping Families Save and Build Assets, and Reaching and Serving Immigrant Families.
* Hosting a Web conference on how city officials can host poverty stimulation exercises to engage other community leaders in anti-poverty efforts.
* Conducting site visits on disconnected youth programs for teams of local officials and other community leaders from six cities with the American Youth Policy Forum.
* Launching a Small Cities Education Network for municipal leaders representing cities with fewer than 50,000 residents.
* Appointing more …