Byline: Karen Simmons
AS with any other profession, the level and style of service offered by real estate agents will vary from one agency to another. Deciding which agent will handle the sale of your home is likely to be one of the most important decisions you will make.
According to the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ), a professional and experienced agent can be the difference between a sales success story and a real estate disaster.
"Sellers are encouraged to shop around for an agent they feel will provide them with the type of service and the results they want," REIQ managing director Dan Molloy said.
"A good agent's level of customer service should be complemented by their detailed knowledge of all relevant laws and regulations; extensive property market knowledge; advertising, marketing and promotional expertise; and good negotiation skills. These are key to the service of easing sellers through the process."
What should your agent do for you when selling a property?
* Use market analysis and comparative sales techniques to determine the price of your property;
* Formulate an effective marketing plan which you agree to;
* Ask you to complete minor repairs before listing the property and maintain the presentation of the property during the sale period;
* Negotiate with potential buyers on your behalf; and
* If your property is a unit or townhouse, they will also ask you for property details to complete a disclosure statement that the law requires be given to potential buyers. …