TODAY is Saturday, August 22, the 234th day of 2009. There are 131 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1485 - England's King Richard III is killed at the Battle of Bosworth, ending War of the Roses.
* 1642 - English Civil War begins when King Charles I brands Parliament and its soldiers as traitors.
* 1851 - The schooner America out races the Aurora off the English coast to win a trophy that later becomes known as the America's Cup.
* 1864 - The Geneva Convention for the protection of the wounded during times of active warfare is signed, leading to the formation of the Red Cross.
* 1872 - A morse code message is sent from Adelaide to Darwin for the first time via a telegraph line.
* 1906 - The record player is patented.
* 1930 - The two halves of Sydney Harbour Bridge are joined together.
* 1945 - The Vietnam War begins with French paratroopers arriving after Communist leader Ho Chi Minh stages a successful revolt.
* 1978 - Tear gas is used to quell riot by 150 prisoners in Sydney's Long Bay Jail who set fire to their cells. …