Learn about native plants that provide an alternative to invasive plants in "I've Removed the Buckthorn and Honeysuckle -- Now What Do I Do?" at a meeting of the Naperville Community Gardeners at 7 p.m. at Knox Presbyterian Church, 1105 Catalpa Lane, Naperville. Free. Info: napervillecommunitygardeners.org.
Spend National Night Out with your neighbors at family events organized by police departments and community groups throughout the county. Info: Contact your local police department or nationaltownwatch.org.
* Richard M. Watson, a carillonneur from Mariemont, Ohio, performs at 7 p.m. on Naperville's Millennium Carillon along Aurora Avenue, west of Eagle Street. Free. Tours of the carillon are available after the concert for $3. Info: naperville-carillon.org.
Dance to music by The Ambassadors from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Rugaard Gazebo on the Illinois Prairie Path, Ardmore and Central avenues, Villa Park. Free. Info: (630) 834-8525 or vprd.org.
* The Lombard Historical Society offers a demonstration of quilting from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Victorian Cottage Museum, 23 W. Maple St., Lombard. A demonstration of canning and preserving is Aug. 11. Info: lombardhistory.org.
The Naperville Municipal Band salutes the Coast Guard and Merchant Marines at "So Long for a While" at 7:30 p.m. at Central Park, Benton Avenue at Court Street, Naperville. Free. Purchase treats at ice cream social. Info: napervilleband.org.
* The Wheaton Municipal Band performs a sports-themed concert with guest vocalists Wayne and Kathleen Messmer at 8 p.m. at Memorial Park, 208 W. Union Ave., Wheaton. Free. Info: wheatonmunicipalband.org.
* Find out what your family heirlooms are worth during the Lombard Historical Society's Antiques and Appraisal Bazaars from 5 to 8 p.m. Aug. 5 and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 7 at the Victorian Cottage Museum, 23 W. Maple St., Lombard. Coins, stamps, fine art, jewelry, ceramics, collectibles, household antiques, furniture, rugs, clocks, vases, silver and glassware can be appraised. Cost: $5 per item. Info: (630) 629-1885, email@example.com or lombardhistory.org.
* A Kiddie Carnival runs 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Oakbrook Terrace Park District, 1S325 Ardmore Ave., Oakbrook Terrace. Free. Groups of 10 or more are asked to call ahead. Info: (630) 627-6100.
* Center Stage Players perform the musical "Hairspray" at 7 p.m. Aug. 5-6, 3 and 7 p.m. Aug. 7 and 7 p.m. Aug. 8 at Center Stage Theater, 1665 Quincy Ave., Suite 131, Naperville. Tickets: $10, $8 for seniors and students, $6 for children 10 and younger. Info: (630) 355-9212 or kidzkabaret.com.
American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Oakbrook Corporate begins at 3 p.m. at Oakbrook Terrace Park District, 1S325 Ardmore Ave., Villa Park. Info: relayforlifeoakbrook.com or (630) 932-1141.
* Celebrate Summer Daze with a car show, carnival, teen Battle of the Bands, and concerts from 12:30 to 11:30 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday at Butterfield and Batavia roads, Warrenville. Free. Info: (630) 393-7279 or warrenvilleparks.org.
* Art on the Prairie, a juried fine art and craft show, runs 12:30 to 6 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Warrenville City Hall, 3S258 Manning Ave., Warrenville. Includes demonstrations, music, children's art tent. Free admission. Info: (630) 393-7279 or warrenville.il.us.
* Fifth Avenue Band presents a variety of songs and music as part of Naperville Park District's Rollin' on the River concert series from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Riverwalk, Jackson Avenue and Webster Street, Naperville. Free. Info: (630) 848-5000.
* Aug. 6 is the deadline to register for the 19th annual Larry Roesch/NEDSRA Golf Classic at 9 a.m. Sept. 15 in White Pines Golf Club, 500 W. Jefferson Ave., Bensenville. The event raises money to provide recreational programs for adults and children with disabilities. …