History from Gin to Ginger; Yandina Has Had a Rich Agricultural Past

Article excerpt

YANDINA

Postcode: 4552

Median property price over the last 12 months: $400,000

Most expensive street: Andersons Road

Top house sale 2010: A six-bedroom house on 4.01ha along Andersons Road sold in May 2010 for $1.05 million.

Source: REIQ and Australian Property Monitors

suburbprofile

with Felicity Richardson

IN times when the Sunshine Coast was known as the North Coast, when horses were the power of transport and motor cars were amazing new contraptions, Yandina was a growing community with residents living off the land.

Not known as Yandina until the railway was established in 1891, the name comes from the Aboriginal word C[pounds sterling]to go on foot,C[yen] Yandina also being the name of a cattle run east of Mount Ninderry. Yandina has always been an agricultural community. In the 1850s the area around Yandina was used as cattle runs and in the 1860s timbergetters set up home. Cedar was the first timber to be taken but it was beech and pine that sustained the industry until the late 1920s. Cane and fruit growing has also been popular farming choices.

The coming of the railway line marked the beginning of Yandina as a business centre which by 1894 included several stores, butchers, boarding house, blacksmith, hotel, post and telegraph offices, railway station and a police station. Yandina is a town of C[pounds sterling]firstsC[yen] after James Low was the first to secure land in area, this was also the first selection made in the Maroochy Shire. The town of Yandina was surveyed in 1870, making it the first gazetted town in the Maroochy district with the first sale of town lots in that same year. Low also had a lot to do with building a store, stables and accommodation in the area as Cobb & Co. coaches were travelling the distance from Gympie to Brisbane when gold was discovered in Gympie in 1867, stopping over in Yandina.

Mrs Christina Low tells a tale of when husband James was away after 1869, when he was granted a publicans licence and he ran the Maroochie Hotel, C[pounds sterling]when blacks were plentiful enough and the white population but a few.C[yen] The story goes that while Mr Low was away, Mrs Low was left alone and unprotected with a child. She had just opened a case of gin and this one night had bolted the door to the pub as usual but the next morning she could see foot prints leading to the bar. Her initial reaction was check the money which stood up on a shelf near the counter, but with the money all there, she discovered three bottles of gin gone and one of the locals was seen lying opposite, drunk. Talk about caught red-handed.

The first hotel closed in 1883, Yandina becoming a dry town until the present day Yandina Hotel was built around 1887. The watering hole was shifted on log rollers to the site it now sits, while it remained open and upstairs the hotelkeeper's wife gave birth. …