Byline: McCartney & Raleigh
After the large sensor doors glide open and one enters the lobby of Naperville's downtown Nichols Library, one may notice a small set of steps on the right.
If the person is under 3 feet tall, they're guaranteed to not only notice, but to climb the stairs and push the button on the wall to light the display.
Donated by the Russell Family, the display is a miniature model of the interior of the original Nichols Library at 110 S. Washington St. There are two floors with wrought-iron railings, books in wooden bookcases, roll shades on the windows and quill pens.
On Sept. 22, 1898, the original Nichols opened with $10,000 bequeathed to the city by professor and author James Nichols. It opened with 700 volumes and had roughly that many checkouts the first year.