1. Dame Kelly Holmes: Athlete "I became depressed and I cut my self with scissors and stuff."
2. Sinead O'Connor: Musician "I had developedmanic depression ... and the main symptoms the constant voice in the head telling you to kill yourself."
3. Hugh Laurie: Actor "It gets on top of me and I get frustrated."
4. Caroline Aherne: Actress "I try to piece together what I did and why I did it, but it's just a big blackout."
5. Robbie Williams: Singer "I've really been grappling with depression. It's all linked with my cocaine and ecstasy abuse."
6. Stephen Fry: Actor and director "I may have looked happy but inside Iwas hopelessly depressed."
7. Tony Slattery: Comedian "There's psychomotor agitation, where you're endlessly pacing, and you can't sleep and you're short- tempered."
8. Gail Porter: TV presenter "It's horrible, horrible, horrible. It took a year and a half until I found out that I had post-natal depression."
9. Brooke Shields: Actress "I just felt as though I would never be happy again, and as if I had fallen into a big black hole."
10. Adam Ant (Stuart Goddard):Musician "When I was sectioned for six months, that was one of the worst experiences of my life, not being able to go out and have freedom. Having experienced it, it's almost inexplicably awful."
11. Ruby Wax: TV presenter "Depressions are very cyclical, they happen once every five years. When I was on TV, yes I was effervescent, you can't fake it. It [depression] comes like the pox."
12. Richard Dreyfuss: Actor "I said to my doctor, 'You gotta testme, there's something wrong with me that I would be behaving this way.'"
13. Sarah Lancashire: Actress "My twenties were a writeoff. It's a cruel illness, because you can't see it and you can hide it so well."
14. Graeme Obree: Cyclist "When you're depressed, everything becomes distorted."
15.Winona Ryder: Actress "You have good days and bad days, and depression's something that, you know, is always with you."
16. Sophie Anderton: Model "I think it backfired. It wasn't what I expected, it was difficult. I didn't expect them to throw somany mind games into it. I didn't expect to be so emotional, but I asked for it really. I'ma glutton for punishment."
17. Denise Welch: Actress "I lost all sense of reality. I basically had what was a nervous break down."
18. Lenny Henry: Comedian "That' swhere depression hits you most - your home life. It doesn't affect your work. I can't do this zany, wacky, funny thing any more. I haven't been like that for a long time."
19.Mel C: Former Spice Girl "At the back of my mind there is always a fear the depression could return but I do all the right things. I try to get the right amount of sleep because I know that I need sleep to function and I need to eat properly and to do some exercising."
20.MelindaMessenger:Model and TV presenter "I felt suicidal. I couldn't stop crying. I remember thinking, 'wouldn't it be great if the car crashed and I died?'"
21. Bill Oddie: TV presenter "Chemicals will help you and medication will help you perhaps overcome it initially, but it won't work permanently if you don't follow it up with quite intense psychoanalysis of some sort."