NDIA's Delaware Valley Chapter recently presented its 2003 ROTC and the Sidney Ross Young American Awards to cadets and midshipmen from ROTC units at 13 universities in the Philadelphia area.
Recipients were selected for outstanding academic performances and dedication to the ROTC program. The Delaware Valley Chapter chooses one cadet or midshipmen to receive the Sidney Ross Young American Award, based on scholarly achievement (preferably in science or engineering), demonstrated leadership, service to community or university and participation in university athletics or activities.
In 2003, this award was presented to Cadet Matthew R. Russak, from St. Joseph's University's Air Force ROTC Detachment 750. Russak is a senior with a double major in computer science and computer engineering.
The award was established in 2000 to honor the late Sidney Ross, a native Philadelphian and a long-time member of NDIA and its predecessor organizations. Ross served NDIA in several capacities at the national level and as a member of the chapter's board of directors. Award recipients included:
* Cadet Sgt. Maj. Brian Rotante, Army ROTC, Lehigh University.
* Cadet Capt. Christopher Poponak, Army ROTC, Drexel University.
* Cadet Cpl. Rebekah L. Strock, Army ROTC, University of Pennsylvania.
* Cadet Cpl. Matt Klohocker, Army ROTC, MCP Hahnemann University.
* Cadet Maj. Hans Lokodi, Army ROTC, Temple University.
* Cadet Logan M. Kent, Army ROTC, Valley Forge Military College.
* Midshipman First Class Amelia Zellander, Navy ROTC, University of Pennsylvania.
* Midshipman First Class Carolyn DiMaria, Navy ROTC, Villanova University.
* Cadet Michael Schanne, Army ROTC, Villanova University.
* Cadet Harold L. Ellwanger III, Air Force ROTC, University of Delaware.
* Cadet Major Peter Hegseth, Army ROTC, Princeton University.
* Cadet Mathew R. Russak, Air Force ROTC, St. Joseph's University.
Director Dick Riegel Retires
Richard A. Riegel, Col., USAF (Ret.), is retiring for a second time after five years as director of operations for NDIA. Before joining NDIA, Riegel served 30 years in …