Ford Motor Company has introduced the first ever police vehicle prep package designed to prepare vehicles for law enforcement use.
"The pre-packaged interceptor greatly reduces the normal up-fitting time and costs for converting these vehicles, and saves on the unnecessary repairs resulting from the improper installation of equipment," said Ron Anderson, Ford's government marketing brand manager for the North American fleet. Ford selected Crown North America, a division of Leggett and Platt, Inc., and a leading supplier of automotive conversion services and telecommunications enclosures, to build factory-approved conversion packages for Ford's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.
The package includes the auxiliary items that are most often requested to fully equip Ford's Police Interceptor and is available to all Ford dealers, The interceptor is covered by Ford's new vehicle warranty, three year/ 36,000 miles.
The option, which can be ordered individually factory option and includes:
* Strobe bulbs installed in the front parking lenses and rear taillight lenses.
* Shielded coaxial strobe conductor cables: pre-run to front parking lenses, taillights and rear deck; three waterproof isolator maxi fuses.
* Three power and three ground wires: six #8 gauge wires pre-run to front and rear power control centers and coiled at the base of the B pillar for light bar installations.
* Wiring harnesses: GXL automotive-grade wiring that is protected by convolute and provides power for accessories where the siren warning is pre-run.
* Two power control centers: one in the glove box and one in the trunk, each of which houses six fuses, battery and accessory power. …