By N. W. Bawcutt, Henry Herbert
As Master of the Revels, Sir Henry Herbert was responsible for licensing and censoring plays from 1623 to 1642 and again from 1660 to 1673. This completely new edition of his records includes many documents previously unavailable. A comprehensive introduction offers a new biography of Sir Henry, an account of the strange and complicated history of his private papers, and the fullest description available of his activities as Master of the Revels. The edition will be an essential reference work for literary scholars and theater historians.
- Great Britain. Office of the Revels
- English Drama--17th Century--History and Criticism--Sources
- English Drama--Restoration, 1660-1700--History and Criticism--Sources
- Theater--Censorship--England--History--17th Century--Sources
- Drama--Censorship--England--History--17th Century--Sources
- Theater--England--History--17th Century--Sources