Academic journal article Scandinavian Studies , Vol. 67, No. 4
Washington State University
April 26-29, 1995
Thursday, April 27, 1995
1. MODERN SCANDINAVIAN LITERATURE: KJARSTAD AND JERSILD Chair: Solveig Zempel, St. Olaf College
* Frankie Shackelford, Augsburg College
"Jan Kjarstad's Forforeren and the Genetics of Narration"
* Gitte Mose, University of Copenhagen
"Don Jonas Meets Don Juan and Don Johannes: Seducers and Seduction in Jan Kjarstad's Forforeren and Soren Kierkegaard's Either/Or"
* Ross Shideler, University of California, Los Angeles
"P.C. Jersild and the Experimental Narrator"
2. THEMES IN SCANDINAVIAN ART: PAIN, LOSS, AND TABLEAU Chair: Marilyn J. Blackwell, Ohio State University
* Mark Sandberg, University of California, Berkeley
"Baby's Last Bedtime: Genre Painting, Travel Narrative, and Tableau"
* Zoe Borovsky, University of Oregon
"Wrestling with the Giantess, Displaying the Past"
* Karin Sanders, University of California, Berkeley
"Seeing, Reading, Hearing (or Smelling) Pain: On Laocoon, Abildgaard's Painting The Wounded Philoctes (1775) and Bissen's Sculpture The Wounded Philoctes (1854-5)"
3. SCANDINAVIAN LANGUAGE ENROLLMENT: THE PROBLEM OF "BEAN COUNTING" Chair: Christopher Hale, University of Alberta
* Ray Wakefield, University of Minnesota
"Building Enrollments in the Era of Bean Counting"
* Karen Lybeck, University of Minnesota
"Keeping the Beans in the Pot: Striving to Maintain Language Course Enrollments"
* Louis Janus, University of Minnesota
"The State of Nordic Language Teaching - 1995"
4. MEDIEVAL MYTH AND HISTORY: MEDICINE AND THE HEALER. Chair: John Weinstock, University of Texas, Austin
* Brigid Gaffikin, University of California, Berkeley
"Scandinavian Historians of Medieval Icelandic Medical Practices and Beliefs"
* Kathryn Starkey, University of California, Berkeley
"In Sickness and In Health - Reevaluating the Role and Identity of the Healer in Early Medieval Germanic Mythology"
* Klaus Rifbjerg, "Why I Write"
Friday, April 28, 1995
5. OLD NORSE: NEW READINGS Chair: Kirsten Wolf, University of Manitoba
* Maria Bonner, University of Minnesota and Kaaren Grimstad, University of Minnesota
"How to Do Things with Hrafnkels saga"
* Jenny Jochens, Towson State University
"Gendered Trifunctionality: The Case of Rigsthula"
6. SCANDINAVIA AND THE EUROPEAN UNION: INFLUENCES AND DECISIONS Chair: Arne Selbyg, Augustana College
* Andrew C. Twaddle, University of Missouri, Columbia
"EU or Not EU: The Swedish Debate on Membership, 1993"
* Christina M. Patterson, The American University
"Neutrality and Its Compatibility with the European Union: Comparative Case Studies of Austria, Finland, and Sweden"
* Aili Flint, Columbia University
"Contracts and Change: Regenerative Strategies in the Finnish Lexicon"
* Susan Larson, University of California, Berkeley
"Trading Partners or Trading Sovereignty: Finland, Norway, and the European Union"
* Discussant: Pertti Pesonen, University of Helsinki
7. CINEMA: FOLKLORE AND FILM Chair: Barbro Klein, Stockholm University
* Tom Dubois, University of Washington
"Uses of Folklore in Nils Gaup's Film The Pathfinder"
* Guntis Smidchens, University of Washington
"Traditions of the Past and Present Latgale (East Latvia) in Child of Man"
* Tim Tangherlini, University of California, Berkeley
"Folklore, Ideology, and Film: Pelle the Conqueror"
8. NORWEGIAN-AMERICAN LITERATURE: DISINTEGRATION AND IMAGERY Chair: Ingeborg Kongslien, Norway Research Council/University of Wisconsin
* Kristoffer Paulson, Simon Fraser University
"A Mixture of Myths: Martha Ostenso's Wild Geese"
* Orm Overland, University of Bergen
"Norwegian-American Literature Grinds to a Halt: The Disintegration of Norwegian as an American Literary Language"
* Solveig Zempel, St. …