TODAY is Thursday, February 26, the 57th day of 2009. There are 308 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1531 - Earthquake in Portugal kills tens of thousands of people and flattens much of Lisbon and other cities.
* 1797 - The Bank of England issues one pound notes for the first time.
* 1804 - Settlers arrive at Sullivan's Cove, the start of the first settlement of Hobart.
* 1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from island of Elba to begin his second conquest of France.
* 1839 - In Britain, the first Grand National horse race is run.
* 1935 - RADAR (Radio Detection and Ranging) is first demonstrated by Robert Watson-Watt.
* 1936 - Military coup in Japan replaces Koki Hirota as prime minister; Adolf Hitler opens first Volkswagen plant in Saxony, Germany.
* 1952 - Winston Churchill announces that Britain has produced its own atomic bomb.
* 1993 - Bomb at World Trade Centre in New York City kills six and injures 1,000.
* 1999 - The manslaughter trial of former French Prime Minister Laurent Fabius over the infection of thousands with AIDS-tainted blood ends. …