Nutrition and Lead Poisoning
Most of the lead that enters our bodies does so by way of our mouths, through ingestion. Adults ingest lead predominantly in water and food. Children, on the other hand, usually ingest more from dust and soil, as their normal daily activity brings them into contact with the ground and involves hand-to-mouth contact.
The amount of lead that we breathe in is usually relatively small. In some cases, however, hazardous amounts of lead can be inhaled, such as when there is a lot of lead dust in the air, from a house being deleaded or renovated.
Much of the lead that we ingest or inhale passes through our bodies and is eliminated as waste, without hurting us. The lead that stays in our blood has a half-life of about a month. This means that when lead enters the body, a significant portion of it remains in the blood for 48-72 hours. Then the majority finds its way to the SOFT TISSUE, the liver, spleen, heart, kidneys, muscles, lungs, and brain, where it remains for a few months. This is the lead that is an immediate threat to our health. 1
The body sends lead in place of certain essential nutrients that it resembles in chemical structure—iron, calcium, and zinc. However, the lead is not able to carry out the critical functions of the minerals it replaces. Not only does lead interfere with good health by taking