Corinth Aug 17th 1862
The order from Genl Halleck is imperative to send to divisions to Buell, and that after being telegraphed the position of all my forces, I have asked him to allow me to draw in, making Tuscumbia my Eastern terminus, 1 also to allow Curtiss to cross the river on Panola whilst I send Sherman to Oxford. 2 This would compel the enemy to cut this road at Granada, if they did not do it we would do it for them. I could then withdraw one Division from Memphis and a brigade from Bolivar as it now is we will have to draw in our horns a little for the present, and spread again when we can. Your front had better be brought in about where your Hd Qrs now are.
U. S. GRANT
Telegram, copy, DNA, RG 393, Army of the Miss., Telegrams Received. On Aug. 17, 1862, Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans telegraphed to USG. "The mackeral—I mean Union brigade reported to Genl Granger 520. —: 300 for duty advanced as far as Dansville where they bivoacked for the night. They attacked the Pigs of Danville deploying skirmishers for that purpose from the flanks of their column who open a sharp& brought Eight of the hairy rascals to the ground before Col Fenkham Commanding 27th Stationed at Danville arrived & informed the commander of the brigade that these natives were noncombatants. As loyal as possible considering their limited information —The brigade awaits orders there Genl Granger by our move Regts & Battery. Danville covers the crossing of the Tuscumbia in front of Oglesbys Camp —It seems to me General it would be best to order Granger another Regt. & direct Davies moreover to occupy Danville which protects the Bridge crossing both of the common and Rail Road—Moreover covers the larger opening on the M & C. H. RR left by vacating our Camp—Please give the necessary orders" Telegram received, ibid., Dept. of the Mo., Telegrams Received; copy, ibid., Army of the Miss., Telegrams Sent. O. R., I, xvii, part 2, 177. On the same day, Rosecrans telegraphed to USG. "Do you understand that two (2) of our Divisions are to be sent to Buell & that we are more over to try & hold the line through to Decatur If so the troops at Danville or other places must go to Iuka If we cross at Eastport & Tuscumbia Stanleys Division will go to Iuka & Tuscumbia —Mitchell will cross at Eastport & Paine at Florence—Stanley will try to Cover the road till more troops can be got, but we must be careful" Telegram received,