Survey of 2003–2004
State Legislative Candidates
1. Please assess the level of support for candidates from your political party in your district (for example, what percentage of voters typically votes for your party).
2. How did you decide to run for a state legislative seat? Did you decide on your own? Did a group or political party approach you about running? More gener- ally, what were the circumstances surrounding your decision to run for office?
3. How supportive was the gay and lesbian community of your candidacy? Did you speak at any gay or lesbian events or before any gay or lesbian organizations? Did you face any opposition from the political left in the gay community?
4. Have any religious-based or conservative groups actively campaigned against you? If so, are these organizations based in your district? Are any of these groups state-level or national groups?
5. Assess the treatment you have received in the media. Do you think the media's coverage of your campaign has been fair and accurate? Do you believe the race received much attention compared to other election campaigns? Do you believe media coverage of your sexual orientation was (1) excessive, and (2) influential in the campaign?
6. Did you have problems raising money for your campaign? If yes, to what do you attribute these problems? What was the major source of funding for your cam- paign? Did you receive any funding from Political Action Committees? If so, which ones? What was the average dollar amount of contributions to your campaign?
7. Were you publicly endorsed by any local, state, or national organizations? If so, which ones?
8. Was your party supportive of your candidacy? Were leaders in the legislature supportive of your candidacy? Did you receive any campaign funds from legislative leadership PACs? Did you receive any public funding for you campaign?
9. Have you held public office previously? If so what positions and for how long?