1. Janet Poppendieck, Sweet Charity? Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement (New York: Viking, 1998).
2. Barbara Basler, “Koch Proposes Building Shelters for Homeless in all Five Boroughs,” New York Times, October 30, 1986, A1.
3. Alan Finder, “Board Approves Plan for Shelters,” New York Times, July 20, 1987, A1.
4. Nancy Wackstein, “Conversations: Nancy Wackstein. Memo to Democrats: Housing Won’t Solve Homelessness,” New York Times, July 12, 1992, sec. 4, p. 9.
5. Sara Rimer, “Pressed on Homeless, Subways Impose Rules,” New York Times, October 25, 1989, B1.
6. Sara Rimer, “Ranks of Homeless Grow Despite the Millions Spent,” New York Times, April 15, 1989, 30.
7. Celia Dugger, “Threat Only When on Crack, Homeless Man Foils System,” New York Times, September 3, 1992, 1.
8. National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, “No Homeless People Allowed: A Report on Anti-Homeless Laws, Litigation and Alternatives in 49 United States Cities” (Washington, D.C.: National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, December 1994).
9. New York Police Department, “Police Strategy No. 5 : Reclaiming the Public Spaces of New York” (New York: New York Police Department, July 6, 1994), 4.
1. George Kelling and Catherine Coles, Fixing Broken Windows: Restoring Order and Reducing Crime in Our Communities (New York: Free Press, 1996).
2. Amiti Etzioni, New Communitarian Thinking: Persons: Virtues, Institutions, and Communities (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 1995); Amiti Etzioni, The New Golden Rule: Community and Morality in a Democratic Society (New York: Basic Books, 1996).
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: City of Disorder: How the Quality of Life Campaign Transformed New York Politics. Contributors: Alex S. Vitale - Author. Publisher: New York University Press. Place of publication: New York. Publication year: 2008. Page number: 195.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.