The Constitutional Convention of 1829-1830
DURING THE THREE DECADES immediately preceding 1830, Trans- Allegheny Virginia was comparatively prosperous. It became a land of newspapers; transportation facilities became increasingly adequate; and thousands of persons crossed it annually to and from the east. As a result, a white population of less than 40,000 in 1800 trebled by 1830, and Negro slaves showed an even greater percentage increase. Nine counties became sixteen, and two score or more towns were either newly incorporated or received new charters. In the decade ending 1810, the new counties formed in Trans-Allegheny Virginia, together with those from which they were taken, were: Mason, from Kanawha, 1804; and Cabell, from Mason, 1809. To these were added before 1820: Tyler, from Ohio, 1814; Lewis, from Harrison and Randolph, 1816; Preston, from Monongalia and Randolph, 1818; and Nicholas, from Greenbrier, Kanawha, and Randolph, in the same year. During the next decade, only one new county, Logan ( 1824), was formed. It was created out of parts of Cabell, Giles, Tazewell, and Kanawha.
To the east between the Alleghenies and the Blue Ridge and including southwestern Virginia and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, popularly known as "the Valley," were twenty-four other counties. In
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: West Virginia, the Mountain State. Edition: 2nd. Contributors: Charles H. Ambler - Author, Festus P. Summers - Author. Publisher: Prentice-Hall. Place of publication: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Publication year: 1958. Page number: 132.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.