Bodleian Library (bŏd´lēən, bŏdlē´ən), at the Univ. of Oxford. The original library, destroyed in the reign of Edward VI, was replaced in 1602, chiefly through the efforts of Sir Thomas Bodley, who gave it valuable collections of books and manuscripts and in his will left a fund for maintenance. The library has one of the great collections of English books, including a major Shakespearean section; its extensive manuscript collection is especially rich in biblical and Arabic material. A new building for the library was opened in 1946. The Bodleian also maintains OLIS, the Oxford Libraries Information System, Oxford's online union library catalog, which contains records of the books, periodicals, and other items held by libraries within or associated with the university.
See H. H. E. Craster, History of the Bodleian Library, 1845–1945 (1952); A. G. and W. O. Hassall, Treasures from The Bodleian Library (1974); G. Walker, M Clapinson, and L. Forbes, The Bodleian Library: A Subject Guide to the Collections (2004).
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Bodleian Library. Encyclopedia title: The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. © 2012 The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia © 2012, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. Used with the permission of Columbia University Press. All Rights Reserved. Publisher: The Columbia University Press. Place of publication: Not available. Publication year: 2013.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.