Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College
Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, mainly at Baton Rouge; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1853, opened as a state seminary 1860 near Alexandria (with W. T. Sherman as president), moved 1869. It became a university in 1870 and merged with the Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1877. There are law and veterinary schools at Baton Rouge, the LSU Health Sciences Center is at New Orleans, and there is a second medical school at Shreveport. University research facilities include a nuclear science center, a center for aquaculture research, and museums of geoscience and natural science.