Nuevitas (nwāvē´täs), city (1995 est. pop. 52,000), Camagüey prov., E Cuba, on the Guincho peninsula on the north coast. Nuevitas is sheltered by a huge harbor, has two auxiliary ports, and is a major shipping point for Cuban sugar as well as other products from the surrounding agricultural region. It also possesses diversified light industry and serves as a road and rail terminus. The large bay was sighted by Columbus in 1492. Founded in 1775, the city was moved to its present site in 1828.