Phillips Exeter Academy
Phillips Exeter Academy (ĕk´sətər), at Exeter, N.H.; coeducational; chartered 1781, opened 1783 by John Phillips. It has been an influential preparatory school and has a notable school library. Heavily endowed (1931) by Edward S. Harkness, the school has a large campus and many fine buildings. Founded as a school for boys, it became coeducational in 1970.
See M. R. Williams, Story of Phillips Exeter (1957).