The Skeptics Society
The Skeptics Society is a member supported 501(c)(3) nonprofit scientific and educational organization of scholars, scientists, historians, magicians, professors and teachers, and anyone curious about controversial ideas, that does the following:
* Sponsors a monthly lecture series at the California Institute of Technology.
* Tapes the lectures in audio & video and makes them available for a modest fee.
* Maintains a catalogue of science and skeptical books discounted for members.
* Hosts an annual awards ceremony recognizing achievements for the year.
* Organizes an annual scientific conference centered around a major theme.
* Takes scientific trips for research and educational purposes.
* Conducts investigations and research into controversial claims.
* Holds social events to promote good will among like-minded individuals.
* Provides the press and the media with information on controversial claims.
* Maintains a speaker's bureau for schools and organizations to access.
* Maintains a telephone referral service for the public and media to access.
* Services a World Wide Web site on the Internet.
Members receive a copy of SKEPTIC, an international publication from Millennium Press, also available to institutions as well as university, college, and public libraries. SKEPTIC is carried by major bookstores in the U.S. and around the world.
The Skeptics Society and SKEPTICS magazine investigate claims by scientists, historians, and controversial figures on a wide variety …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: The Skeptics Society. Contributors: Not available. Magazine title: Skeptic (Altadena, CA). Volume: 10. Issue: 4 Publication date: Winter 2004. Page number: 4. © 2009 Skeptics Society & Skeptic Magazine. COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.