From Artilleriestrasse to Upper Berkeley Street: The Origins of a Rabbinical College
Magonet, Jonathan, European Judaism
The Leo Baeck College is one of the few institutions to be born out of the German refugee community in Britain, to have preserved the values of its origin, to have made the transition to a new culture and to have won for itself the respect of a new generation and built a new leadership. Its origins lie in the rabbinic seminary that was a quintessential product of pre-war German Jewry, the Hochschule fur die Wissenschaft des Judentums. For the first half of its life the College was located at the West London Synagogue in Upper Berkeley Street, before its transfer to its present site at the Sternberg Centre for Judaism in East End Road, Finchley. This is a brief account of some of the stages in that first journey.
The origins of the Hochschule are recorded in the writings of Richard Fuchs who was a member of its governing body during the period from 1935 to March 1939 when he received unexpectedly a passport and was able to leave for England.
It was opened in Berlin on 6th May 1872. Its name was Hochschule fur die Wissenschaft des Judentums; the German term Hochschule includes universities as well as all other institutions of higher education of equal rank. According to the 'Statutes' of the new institution, its object was 'the promotion of the Wissenschaft des Judentums' [the scientific study of Judaism] (Section 2); teaching was to extend to this entire subject (Section 5) and therefore not to be restricted to theology; the lectures were to be delivered 'for the sole sake' of the Wissenschaft des Judentums (Section 21). The teachers had to be in possession of the scholarly qualifications required for admission as lecturers at German universities (Section 11); the students had to be qualified for attending a State university (Section 15). Although the training of rabbis and teachers of Jewish religion had to be envisaged as the main practical purpose, nontheological students, including women, and also non-Jews were admitted. All teaching and all examinations were to be gratuitous according to timehonoured Jewish tradition; they remained so until 1936. From the very beginning particular stress was laid on ensuring the independence of the new institution; it was to be 'autonomous, independent of the authorities of the State, of Jewish Communities and the Synagogues' (Section 1). In order to prevent the Hochschule from becoming the instrument of a specific religious trend, the Statutes provided (Section 13) that practising rabbis were excluded from the 'Body of Governors (Kuratorium)'. The founders' wish to keep the Hochschule independent of public authorities compelled it to rely on support from private sources. As these remained far below expectation, the Hochschule suffered almost continually from shortage of funds ... (1)
In his memoirs Rabbi Dr Salzberger recalls his arrival at the Hochschule in 1901 which, at that period, was called the Lehranstalt.
The Lehranstalt was housed for many years in an annex to the Synagogue in Lindenstrasse; it consisted of three rooms: the so-called 'Lecture theatre', that was no bigger than a large room, the adjacent lecturer's room and the library. The administration lay in the hands of a Committee made up of prominent members of the community. Attendance was free. Regular students enjoyed sponsored free meals. It was hard to imagine that this Lehranstalt had been in existence since 1872; that Heymann Steinthal, who, with his brother-in-law, Moritz Lazarus had founded Volkerpsychologie, had taught there, and also Abraham Geiger, the first modern Jewish theologian; it was hard to imagine that this Lehranstalt was once able to bear the title Hochschule which, of course, it was once forced to give up. All attempts to introduce a Jewish …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: From Artilleriestrasse to Upper Berkeley Street: The Origins of a Rabbinical College. Contributors: Magonet, Jonathan - Author. Journal title: European Judaism. Volume: 39. Issue: 1 Publication date: Spring 2006. Page number: 3+. © 2001 Berghahn Books, Inc. COPYRIGHT 2006 Gale Group.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.