Byline: By Mike Harris
1 Identify the Welsh seaside town popularly known as The Jewel of Cardigan Bay.
2. The following elements have been taken from the Periodic Table created originally by Dmitri Mendeleyev (1834-1907): Hydrogen, Sodium, Scandium, Galliumand Niobium. Why might Antimony be the next in a particular mathematical sequence?
3. Name the husband and wife who, between them, have compiled three impressive political biographies concerning,
i) WilliamWilberforce (1759-1833),
ii) WilliamPitt the Younger (1759-1806) and,
iii) David Lloyd George (1863-1945) respectively and who wrote which?
4. Which area of Paris was immortalised by the painter, Henri Toulouse-Lautrec (1864-1901) as the poster background for its famous dancers?
5. Complete the Laurence Olivier (1907-1989) question to Dustin Hoffman (1937-) during the c1975 filming of The Marathon Man after the latter had stayed up for three successive nights in order to portray a sleepless character. "Dear boy, why not try ?"
6. What was Horatio Nelson's (1758-1805) opinion of Milford Haven as a natural harbour -
i) absolutely superb,
ii) nothing to write home about,
iii) dangerous to say the least?
7. The names of these well-known historical figures have each been spelled wrongly. Identify the actual errors
i) Ben Johnson/Dramatist/ 1572-1637,
ii) Christopher Marlow/Dramatist/ 1564-1593,
iii) Richard Nashe/1674-1761MC and better known as Beau Ns,
iv) Lawrence Oates/Explorer/1880-1912, & v) Thomas Pain/1737-1809/Political radical.
8. Why do deciduous trees shed their leaves in autumn?
9. What are the modern versions of these ancient English place-names?
ii) Bradanforda be Afne/Wiltshire/905,
iii)Daeccanhaam/Essex/690, iv) Fawe/Cornwall/1210, and v) Ludelaue/Shropshire/1138.
10. What is the filial relationship in two of Jane Austen's novels, Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, between the heroines, Catherine & Fanny and John Morland & WilliamPrice, respectively? …