Academic Advising at Bay State
Bell, Janice E., Ansari, Shahid L., Strategic Finance
The Student Case Competition is sponsored annually by IMA to provide an opportunity for students to interpret, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and communicate a solution to a management accounting problem.
BAY STATE UNIVERSITY is part of a five-campus public state university system established by the state legislature in 1926. The mission of the state university system is to provide educational opportunity to students who graduate in the top 20% of their public high schools. Tuition is low, with the state paying approximately 80% of the cost of education while students pay the remaining 20%.
The state legislature budgets for the university system and evaluates the performance of each campus by monitoring the percent of the state's graduating seniors who apply, the average GPA and SAT scores of the incoming class, the student retention rate, the average time to graduation, the average units (credit hours) accumulated at graduation, and various capacity ratios (students to full-time faculty, percent utilization of buildings, etc.) Table 1 contains a summary of key statistics for the five campuses in the system for 2007.
Table 1: State University System: 2007 Summary Statistics FTF (3) % HSS (1) Average Average Retention Years to School Applying GPA SAT Rate (2) Graduation Acorn State 57.9 2.4 1410 42% 4.3 Bay State 59.8 2.2 1260 38% 6 Franklin State 61.2 2.6 1530 52% 5.1 Madison County 58.9 2.4 1425 40% 4.5 Welburn State 63.1 2.8 1650 62% 4.3 Semesters Average % of Class to Graduate Units at FTE per Capacity School Transfers Graduation FTEs (4) Faculty Utilized (5) Acorn State 5 128 12,500 51.4 67% Bay State 7 147 28,000 60.3 87% Franklin State 5 133 18,500 57.9 66% Madison County 5 132 30,100 58.6 79% Welburn State 4 128 27,000 52.8 80% (1.) Graduating high school seniors in the geographical area serviced by the university. (2.) Tracks entering students who ultimately graduate, regardless of how or when they graduate. (3.) First-time freshmen (FTF) years to graduation. (4.) Full-time equivalent students [(number of students * units taken) /15 units]. (5.) Measures the usage of class space during the hours of 8 a.m. through 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Friday.
Concerned with state legislative cutbacks to the state university system and facing increasing accountability for graduation rates and capacity utilization, university administrators charged each university president in the system to improve results on vital performance measures while reducing recurring operating costs by 15%.
BAY STATE UNIVERSITY
Located in a major metropolitan area, Bay State has an enrollment of approximately 39,000 full- and part-time students, correlating to 28,000 full-time equivalent (FTE) students. Bay State's average time to graduation for first-time freshmen has risen from 4.7 years to six years. The student retention rate, measured by the percentage of incoming students who ultimately graduate from Bay State, has fallen from a high of 72% in the late 1970s to 38% in 2007. Additionally, students only have to amass 124 semester credit hours to graduate, yet the average number of credit hours for a graduating senior at Bay State is 147. Table 2 contains information about the school's performance over the past 10 years.
Table 2: Bay State Advising Statistics: 1998-2007 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 % HSS Applying 59. …