Today in History
Today is Wednesday, February 4, the 35th day of 2009. There are 330 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 211 -Death of Lucius Septimius Severus, Roman emperor responsible for making the empire's government a military monarchy.
* 1789 -Electors unanimously choose George Washington to be the first US president.
* 1899 -Filipinos stage revolt against United States because independence is not granted.
* 1924 -Mahatma Gandhi, a pacifist who led the struggle for Indian independence from Britain, is released after spending two years in jail in Bombay.
* 1938 -Germany's Adolf Hitler assumes office of war …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Today in History. Contributors: Not available. Newspaper title: The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia). Publication date: February 4, 2009. Page number: 9. © 2009 APN Newspapers Pty Ltd. COPYRIGHT 2009 Gale Group.