Today in History
TODAY is December 15, the 350th day of 2008. There are 16 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1711 - The plague breaks out in Copenhagen.
* 1890 - Chief Sitting Bull of the Sioux is killed during an attempt to arrest him by reservation police in the US state of South Dakota.
* 1939 - The motion picture Gone With the Wind premieres in Atlanta, in the United States.
* 1944 - The plane carrying American band leader Glenn Miller, a US Army Major, disappears over the English Channel, probably the victim of bombs jettisoned from British bombers returning from an unsuccessful raid.
* 1961 - Former Nazi Adolf Eichmann is sentenced to death in Jerusalem.
* 1965 - Two US manned spacecraft, Gemini 6 and Gemini 7, manoeuvre to within 3 metres of each other while in orbit and relay data about Venus as it flies past the planet.
* 1970 - Soviet spacecraft starts sending messages from planet Venus.
* 1990 - Cattle rancher Darly Alves da Silva and his son Darci Alves Pereira are convicted of murdering Brazilian rain forest defender Chico Mendes. …