Excite and ThirdAge.com Host Pioneering Online Psychographic Study of Web Users
Excite, Inc. has announced the results of Third Age Online, which it says is the first psychographic study conducted on the Web. The study analyzed the attitudes, motivations, and preferences of online users, as well as demographic information such as age, gender, and income.
The Third Age Online study revealed that 83 percent of users in the 50-plus age group log onto the Internet every day--the same percentage of users under the age of 50 that do so.
The survey was cosponsored by Excite, Inc. and ThirdAge.com, a site produced by Third Age Media, a provider of content and services for active older adults. The survey was conducted by MindShare, a San Francisco-based Internet market research and consulting firm. "Third age" refers to the population age 50 and over.
"The results of this survey show us that the Internet is successfully reaching and engaging yet another key segment of the population:" said George Bell, president and CEO of Excite, Inc. "With the strong presence of the 50-plus online community, the actual reach of the Internet and Excite into the mainstream consumer market is remarkably broad. Armed with the first available psychographic data, we are in a great position to continue to offer the best possible online experience to Internet consumers."
Fourteen percent of the survey respondents were age 50 or over. Key findings of the study confirm that this age group:
* Uses the net as much as younger users
* Has more money and is more inclined to buy products online than younger Internet users
* Spends more than 10 hours each week online, primarily from home
* Begins using the Internet to "try something new:" and to stay in touch with family and friends
* Demonstrates higher interest than younger users in government/politics, investing, news, travel, spirituality/ religion, medicine, and culture
"This study shows the incredible vibrancy of the Third Age Community," said Mary Furlong, CEO of Third Age Media. "Older adults today are turning to the Internet as a natural component of their positive, active lifestyles. …