Today in History
TODAY is Wednesday, May 20, the 140th day of 2009. There are 225 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1506 - Christopher Columbus dies in poverty in Spain.
* 1536 - King Henry VIII of England marries Jane Seymour.
* 1770 - Captain James Cook sights and names Fraser Island, Queensland.
* 1867 - Prospector Ernest Henry discovers copper at Cloncurry, Queensland; In London, Queen Victoria lays foundation stone of the Royal Albert Hall.
* 1874 - Levi Strauss markets blue jeans with copper rivets.
* 1886 - Eliza Donnithorne, thought to be the model for Miss Havisham in the Charles Dickens novel Great …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Today in History. Contributors: Not available. Newspaper title: Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia). Publication date: May 20, 2009. Page number: 10. © 2009 APN Newspapers Pty Ltd. COPYRIGHT 2009 Gale Group.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.