10 Big Green Ideas


At the first Earth Day protest in 1970, Margaret Mead, the American Anthropologist and proto-environmentalist, issued a call to action: "We have to learn to cherish this earth and cherish it as something that's fragile, that's only one, it's all we have. We have to use our scientific knowledge to correct the dangers that have come from science and technology." Back in those early days--long before we began driving hybrid cars and politicians started using words like "sustainability" and "carbon footprint" to win elections--Mead and her Earth Day comrades were on the fringe. Would she be surprised to see how mainstream the green movement is today? Probably not. After all, she once said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." All it takes is a great idea. Here we've gathered 10 of those, along with the stories of the thoughtful citizens who are trying to make them a reality.

Make a Greener Burger

Who knew hamburgers could wreck the planet? That's what environmentalists say is happening, as ranchers raze the Brazilian rainforest and their methane-emitting cows foul the atmosphere with greenhouse gases. No one has been more a target of environmentalists' ire than Blairo Maggi. Though known as a soybean tycoon, Maggi became Big Beef's best friend as a two-time governor of Mato Grosso, the frontier state that boasts Brazil's largest herds and has helped make that nation the world's No. 1 beef exporter. But this "developmentalista," who in 2005 won Greenpeace's Golden Chainsaw award for the havoc he had wreaked on the Amazon, has become Brazil's latest tree-hugger. The talk in Maggi's corral is all about "sustainable development," "carbon credits," "avoided deforestation"--and green beef. After signing on to a 2006 moratorium on selling soybeans harvested from recently deforested lands, Maggi last year extended the ban to Amazon beef cattle. He has urged ranchers and Brazil's giant meatpackers to clean up their act, and is even using satellites to monitor illegal clear-cutting and burning of forests. Why Maggi's change of heart? It's smart business. "The entire world has come to the conclusion that forests should be worth more standing than cut down," he often says. "Farmers should get paid for that." --Mac Margolis

Invest In the Improbable

They say great risk brings great reward. just ask Vinod Khosla, the Sun Microsystems cofounder who became Silicon Valley's most vaunted venture capitalist. These days, Khosla is betting on green-tech startups, with a $1 billion venture-capital fund called Khosla Ventures. "I like technologies that have a 90 percent chance of failure," he says. "Because a 10 percent chance of making 100 times your money is better than an 80 percent chance of doubling your money." He believes huge breakthroughs begin with highly improbable ideas--"black swan technologies," he calls them (a reference to Nassim Nicholas Taleb's theory about the randomness and unpredictability of big events). Khosla's flock includes investments in battery-technology startups like Recapping and Pellion, which he describes as "some really long-shot things on electricity storage, some of which are really not even batteries." He has also invested in a company called Solum that's developing a measuring tool to enable farmers to use less fertilizer, thus reducing harmful nitrogen runoff. "These are way out there, flaky ideas" that could take 10 to 15 years to bear fruit. Luckily, he can afford to be patient. --Daniel Lyons

Get Out Of the Gulf

Before this year's massive oil spill, the U.S. was getting 8 percent of its oil from the Gulf of Mexico--a number that translates to 1.6 million barrels each day. That statistic alone helped oil executives persuade President Obama last week to reopen the area. Demand, they said, is simply too high to keep the rigs dry. But is it really? Jackie Savitz, a political-policy analyst with the ocean-advocacy group Oceana, sees a fairly simple way to get out of the gulf completely.

The rest of this article is only available to active members of Questia

Sign up now for a free, 1-day trial and receive full access to:

  • Questia's entire collection
  • Automatic bibliography creation
  • More helpful research tools like notes, citations, and highlights
  • Ad-free environment

Already a member? Log in now.

Notes for this article

Add a new note
If you are trying to select text to create highlights or citations, remember that you must now click or tap on the first word, and then click or tap on the last word.
Loading One moment ...
Project items
Notes
Cite this article

Cited article

Style
Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

Cited article

10 Big Green Ideas
Settings

Settings

Typeface
Text size Smaller Larger
Search within

Search within this article

Look up

Look up a word

  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
Please submit a word or phrase above.
Print this page

Print this page

Why can't I print more than one page at a time?

While we understand printed pages are helpful to our users, this limitation is necessary to help protect our publishers' copyrighted material and prevent its unlawful distribution. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Full screen

matching results for page

Cited passage

Style
Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

Cited passage

Welcome to the new Questia Reader

The Questia Reader has been updated to provide you with an even better online reading experience.  It is now 100% Responsive, which means you can read our books and articles on any sized device you wish.  All of your favorite tools like notes, highlights, and citations are still here, but the way you select text has been updated to be easier to use, especially on touchscreen devices.  Here's how:

1. Click or tap the first word you want to select.
2. Click or tap the last word you want to select.

OK, got it!

Thanks for trying Questia!

Please continue trying out our research tools, but please note, full functionality is available only to our active members.

Your work will be lost once you leave this Web page.

For full access in an ad-free environment, sign up now for a FREE, 1-day trial.

Already a member? Log in now.

Are you sure you want to delete this highlight?