Warehousing and OLAP Analysis of Bibliographic Data
Georgieva-Trifonova, Tsvetanka, Intelligent Information Management
In the last years, the digitalized form is important part of the creation, the distribution and the usage of the scientific literature. This fact concerns the periodical issues, as well as the conference proceedings and even the monographs and the reference books. The distribution and publishing the materials in Internet expedites the development of a large number of bibliographic systems integrated with search engines.
In , the system Personal eLibrary bgMath is represented, whose aim is different: easy manipulation with these materials (papers, dissertations, reports, etc.) and data about them, that are used repeatedly and are necessary at every turn in the scientific activity--scientific researching, writhing papers and dissertations, preparing reports and Web pages or application documentation. The bibliographic system for scientific literature bgMath, utilized from one or more users working at one or more scientific sections, allows accumulating data which are of interest for analyzing. This is the basic motivation for applying the warehousing and online analytical processing (OLAP) technology on the bibliographic data obtained from it.
The main purpose of the system bgMath/OLAP is to provide a possibility for monitoring, evaluating and comparing the scientific development of particular researchers, entire research groups, separate scientific areas and problems.
More concretely, the implemented system can be utilized for the following:
* Analyzing the bibliographic data collected from the usage of bgMath from one or group of researchers;
* Outputting the summarized reports about the number of the publications and the number of the citations of the publications of the particular authors, all members of departments, institutions by years and/or type of the publications;
* Monitoring the changes in the number of the publications and the citations in the different years.
* The basic features of the system bgMath/OLAP are divided by four groups:
* Loading the data in the data warehouse periodically by a given schedule;
* Calculating and maintaining the summarized data in the data cube;
* Browsing the summarized data with the purpose of their analyzing by different dimensions in a tabular and a graphical view through Microsoft Excel application;
* Exporting the summarized data in PDF, HTML, XML, others formats.
2. OLAP Systems and Bibliographic Databases
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Warehousing and OLAP Analysis of Bibliographic Data. Contributors: Georgieva-Trifonova, Tsvetanka - Author. Journal title: Intelligent Information Management. Volume: 3. Issue: 5 Publication date: September 2011. Page number: 190+. © 2009 Scientific Research Publishing, Inc. COPYRIGHT 2011 Gale Group.