Tourism, Ryder Cup Mean Business in County
This is a busy year for the tourism industry in DuPage County as we prepare to celebrate National Travel & Tourism Week May 5 through 13 and host the prestigious PGA Ryder Cup this Sept. 25 through 30 at Medinah Country Club.
In March, we joined over 400 of Illinois' leading travel professionals at the 2012 Illinois Governor's Conference on Tourism, hosted by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Illinois Office of Tourism and the Illinois Council of Convention and Visitors Bureaus.
The theme of this year's conference was "The Power of People and Travel," emphasizing how working together can facilitate forward-thinking and innovative initiatives to ensure the tourism industry continues to be a key economic driver for the state.
The "State of the State of Tourism" address was about the landscape of tourism throughout Illinois and the Illinois tourism industry's vital role in statewide economic development, along with information on where Illinois tourism stands with key economic indicators and proactive steps the state has taken in planning for the future.
Some statewide tourism statistics for 2010 that were revealed at this year's conference include: a
* More than 86 million domestic and international visitors came to Illinois, spending more than $29 billion.
* Leisure travelers spent on average $106 per person per day for a daily average total of $80 million to Illinois businesses.
* The economic impact of tourism directly generated 287,500 jobs within Illinois in 2010, with one in ten Illinois jobs directly or indirectly supported by travel expenditures.
* Travel-related spending accounted for more than $5.3 billion in federal, state and local tax revenues. These additional tax revenues save an average Illinois household over $1,000 in taxes each year.
* Nearly 1.7 million overseas visitors traveled to Illinois in 2010 and spent $2 billion, ranking the state as the seventh most popular U.S. state for international travelers. …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Tourism, Ryder Cup Mean Business in County. Contributors: Not available. Newspaper title: Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL). Publication date: April 30, 2012. Page number: 24. © 2009 Paddock Publications. COPYRIGHT 2012 Gale Group.