YALSA Announces 2012 Award Winners and Book and Media Lists
As part of ALA's annual Youth Media Awards, YALSA announced its six literary awards at Midwinter Meeting in Dallas on January 23" the Alex, Edwards, Morris, Nonfiction, Odyssey, and Printz awards. In addition, YALSA announced the titles on its selected booklists: Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults, Best Fiction for Young Adults, Fabulous Films for Young Adults, Great Graphic Novels for Teens, Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers.
The Alex Awards are given to ten books written for adults that have special appeal to young adults, ages twelve through eighteen. The winning titles are selected from the previous year's published books. The award is sponsored by the Margaret A. Edwards Trust. The 2012 winners are:
* Big Girl Small by Rachel DeWoskin, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (ISBN: 9780374112578)
* In Zanesville by Jo Ann Beard, published by Little, Brown and Company, a division of Hachette Book Group (ISBN: 9780316084475)
* The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (ISBN: 9780374193683)
* The New Kids: Big Dreams and Brave Journeys at a High School for Immigrant Teens by Brooke Hauser, published by Free Press, a division of Simon and Schuster (ISBN: 9781439163283)
* The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, published by Doubleday, a division of Random House (ISBN: 9780385534635)
* Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, published by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House (ISBN: 9780307887436)
* Robopocalypse: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson, published by Doubleday, a division of Random House (ISBN: 978038553850)
* Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward, published by Bloomsbury USA (ISBN: 9781608195220)
* The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston, published by Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers (ISBN: 9780061966903)
* The Talk-Funny Girl by Roland Merullo, published by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House (ISBN: 9780307452924)
The official nominations for the 2012 awards are available online at www.ala.org/ yalsa/booklists/alex.
The 2012 Alex Awards committee is: Chair Karen Keys, Queens Library, Long Island City, N.Y.; Amy Cheney, Alameda County Juvenile Hall Library, San Leandro, Calif.; Meghan Cirrito, Queens (N.Y.) Library; Danielle Dreger-Babbitt, Sno-Isle Regional Library Mill Creek (Wash.) Library; Crystal Faris, Kansas City (Mo.) Public Library; Ann Perrigo, Allegan (Mich.) District Library; Tina Pounds, Edison High School Alexandria, Va.; Scott Rader, Hays (Kan.) Public Library; Ellen R. Wathen, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati; and Ian Chipman, Booklist magazine, Chicago.
Margaret A. Edwards Award
The Margaret A. Edwards Award, established in 1988, honors an author, as well as a specific body of his or her work, for significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature. The annual award is administered by YALSA and sponsored by School Library Journal magazine. It recognizes an author's work in helping adolescents become aware of themselves and addressing questions about their role and importance in relationships, society, and in the world.
Susan Cooper is the recipient of the 2012 Margaret A. Edwards Award honoring her significant and lasting contribution to writing for teens for The Dark Is Rising Sequence: Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; Greenwitch; The Gray King; and Silver on the Tree.
Susan Cooper will be honored at the YALSA Edwards Award Luncheon and presented with a citation and cash prize of $2,000 during the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, California, June 21-26.
Members of the 2012 Edwards Committee are: Chair Susan Fichtelberg, Woodbridge …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: YALSA Announces 2012 Award Winners and Book and Media Lists. Contributors: Not available. Journal title: Young Adult Library Services. Volume: 10. Issue: 3 Publication date: Spring 2012. Page number: 12+. © 2008 American Library Association. COPYRIGHT 2012 Gale Group.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.