Women Are Increasingly Using Smartphones for Entertainment and Multitasking with Other Media
While there are conflicting statistics regarding the total number of women smartphone owners--Nielsen reports 50% of women own smartphones; Pew Research Center says only 44% own them--there's little question that women, particularly moms, increasingly use their phones as multimedia entertainment devices. More than three in four women who own smartphones (78%) say their time spent viewing mobile content has increased year-over-year, according to mobile video provider VuClip.
TIME WOMEN SPEND CONSUMING TV, PRINT, AND RAKIO, DAILY,2012 < 15 minutes 29% 15-29: 59 minutes 14% 30 minutes-59: 59 14% 1-2 hour 14% > Two hours 29% SOURCE: VuClip Note: Table made from pie chart. TIME WOMEN SPEND WATCHING MOBILE CONTENT, DAILY,2012 < 15minutes 27% 15-29: 59 minutes 17% 30 minutes-59: 59 18% 1-2 hour 14% > Two hours 24% NOTE: Among women who watch mobile content via their smartphones SOURCE: VuClip Note: Table made from pie chart.
Moms are even more plugged-in than other adults:
* More than nine in 10 moms (95%) own smartphones, according to 360 Public Relations.
* Moms with children age seven or younger are more likely than moms with children age eight or older to own iPhones (57% vs. 49%), says 360 PR.
* Nearly three in four moms have increased their usage of mobile apps (72%) in the past year.
* Moms are 53% more likely than adults in general to use mobile banking applications and 58% more likely to shop via smartphone., according to BabyCenter.
* Moms are 38% more likely than adults in general to own Internet-connected TVs (such as Apple TV), says BabyCenter.
* Moms are 28% more likely to use tablets. Further-more, moms who own Internet-connected TVs spend three more hours per day consuming media than adults who don't have connected TVs, reports Baby-Center.
Four in 10 moms send/read text messages and/or go online using their tablets or smartphones while watching TV. One in four "always" or "often" talk to someone else while watching TV.
WOMEN'S AND MEN'S FAVORITE CONTENT TO WATCH ON MOBILE PHONES, 2012 Women's Men's favorite Content women favorite content want to see content more of Movies 93% 93% 68% Music 67% 68% 65% Cute/funny 35% 33% 33% TV soaps 31% 21% 29% Sports 30% 53% 26% News 29% 34% 26% Lifestyle, home 26% 22% 26% Gossip, celebrity 25% 20% 25% SOURCE: Vuclip Note: Table made from bar graph HOW WOMEN PRIMARILY USE MOBILE PHONES BEYOND VOICE AND TEXT,2012 Entertainment 61% On-the-go information 6% Leisure 7% Business 7% Communication 18% SOURCE: VuClip Note: Table made from pie chart. …