Learning Technology Trends in 2013
Pace, Ann, T&D
While organizations will continue to invest in e-learning in the coming months, few have a fully adopted learning technology plan in place.
E-learning is the number one technology-based learning and performance support method in which organizations will invest this year, according to recent research by Impact Instruction Group.
The corporate training and development firm's 2013 Learning & Development Technology Report cites that 86 percent of respondents will invest in e-learning in the coming months. Sixty-six percent will invest in webinars, 56 percent in video, 22 percent in mobile applications, and 14 percent in games and simulations.
Amy Franko, founder and CEO of Impact Instruction Group, believes the investment in mobile apps and games and simulations may grow as organizations continue to diversify. Employees increasingly expect technology to be available to them at work, and learning and development teams must incorporate technology solutions that are both current and forward thinking.
Younger generations in particular prefer to use the same technology for professional purposes as they do in their personal lives. "Organizations are branching out and allowing people to bring their own devices -- called BYOD," Franko says. "This is a growing trend that has big implications for training."
Another major survey finding addresses organizations' learning and development technology strategies. Only 19 percent of respondents have fully designed and implemented a strategy complete with training, leaving 81 percent lacking either a technology plan or its execution.
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Learning Technology Trends in 2013. Contributors: Pace, Ann - Author. Magazine title: T&D. Volume: 67. Issue: 2 Publication date: February 2013. Page number: 18. © Not available. COPYRIGHT 2013 Gale Group.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.