* Join the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and local officials at a special ceremony during which ASME will officially designate 17 Batavia windmills -- all authentically reconstructed according to their pioneering designs -- as landmarks of engineering history. The ceremony is the first event of the Batavia Public Library's daylong Batavia Windmill Ceremony. It will be at 9 a.m. Saturday at the library, 10 S. Batavia Ave. The Batavia Windmill Symposium, with the theme "Batavia's Place in Windmill History," will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Also, take a self-guided tour of Batavia's windmills. Register online at BataviaPublicLibrary.org or call (630) 879-1393, ext. 200.
* The annual St. Peter's Barn Sale will be from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the Kane County Fairgrounds, 525 S. Randall Road in St. Charles. Admission is free. Visit stpeterchurch.com/59.
* The Geneva Park District presents its third annual Kite Festival put on by Chicago Kite from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at Peck Farm fields, 4038 Kaneville Road. Bring your own kite out to fly or buy one there. There will be some kite demonstrations with huge kites, vendors and food. The first 500 kids out will get a free paper kite to color, assemble and fly. For details, visit genevaparks.org.
* Actors ages 8 to 18 are invited to audition for "Comic Book Artist," written by Pat Lyderson. Auditions are set for today from 9 a.m. to noon. All experience and skill levels are welcome. Call (630) 232-4542 to reserve an audition time slot. Playhouse 38 is at 524 W. State St., Suite I, Geneva. For information, call (630) 232-4541 or visit genevaparks.org.
* The Alice Gustafson School PTO will host its annual Children's Clothing and Toy Resale from 8 to 11 a.m. today at the school, 905 Carlisle Road in Batavia. Admission is free. The PTO will receive 40 percent of the sales profits, while the remaining 60 percent will go to the participants who sell items. The sale, now in its 28th year, features new or gently used infant through teen clothing for all seasons. Bargains also include shoes, uniforms, sporting goods, costumes, books, games, videos, CDs, toys, maternity wear, baby equipment and furniture. The bargain bag sale is from 11 to 11:30 a.m. today. Pay $5 for a plastic grocery-size bag and fill it to the brim with anything marked with a "D." For information, visit agspto.org.
* Join in the Suicide Prevention Services' "Here for Life!" bike and custom car poker run at 8 a.m. Saturday at AMVETS Post 103, 1194 Jericho Road, Aurora. Registration will be from 8 to 10:45 a.m. There will be a $5 steak and egg breakfast starting at 8 a.m. The entry fee for the poker run is $15 for the driver and $10 for the passenger. The first vehicle out will be at 11 a.m. Food and drinks will be available for purchase. There will be a band, 50/50 cash raffle, raffle tickets and more. Cash donations are welcome. Rain or shine. For details, visit spsamerica.org.
* The Greater Geneva Art Guild's 2013 Art Studio Tour will showcase the talents of more than 30 area artists featured at working studios of member artists and Geneva businesses. They will give demonstrations during the tour, and all artwork will be available for purchase. The tour will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Buy tickets, $10, online at genevaartguild.com. In conjunction with the tour, the Greater Geneva Art Guild will host the first "Arty Party" from 6 to 9 p.m. today at the Geneva Golf Club, 831 South St. Meet guild member artists. Tickets are $30 at the door and include light refreshments, live music and a silent auction and raffle of art pieces. …