When Medicare No Longer Cares; How to Take the Pain out of the "Medigap" That Lies between Federal Assistance and Actual Costs of Health Care

By Allen, Michael | The Saturday Evening Post, April 1986 | Go to article overview

When Medicare No Longer Cares; How to Take the Pain out of the "Medigap" That Lies between Federal Assistance and Actual Costs of Health Care


Allen, Michael, The Saturday Evening Post


WHEN MEDICARE NO LONGER CARES

Unlike taxes, your personal Medicarecoverage may very well come to an end before you do. And although this Federal health-insurance program for people 65 and over has gone a long way toward absorbing some costs of health care for the elderly, a major portion of thos costs--close to 60 percent--is still borne by the patients themselves. These costs must be paid out-of-pocket or through extra insurance purchased privately.

Before getting to the question ofwhich insurance best fills this "medigap," let's look at just what Medicare pays--and doesn't pay. Medicare, a two-part plan, is available to persons aged 65 and over (and certain disabled persons) eligible for Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits.

In Part A, basically a hospitalizationpolicy, the patient pays the first $492 in hospital charges. After that, Medicare picks up the tab for the full remaining cost of the patient's first 60 days in a semiprivate room. This coverage includes lab work, operating rooms, drugs, X-rays, rehabilitation, and other services. From days 61 through 90, the patient contributes a copayment of $123 a day. From the 91st to the 150th day this payment rises to $246 a day.

Part B--optional--picks up where"A" leaves off. It covers treatment by physicians, diagnostic tests, physical therapy, blood transfusions, and expenses of that type. To acquire the security of its protection, a participant pays $15.50 a month, at present. Although Plan B has a $75.00 deductible for the year, A.A.R.P. (the American Association of Retired Persons) calls the plan one of the best bargains to be found.

Plan B does not provide for suchitems as care in a nursing home, prescription drugs, and routine physical exams. Too often it does not pay even half the doctor's bill. Medicare covers 80 percent of the "Medicare approved" amount of the doctor's tab (except for home health-care services). This coverage might leave one to believe that a patient need come up with only the other 20 percent. Sadly, this too often is not the case, because some physicians have charged twice as much as Medicare has approved.

Say a doctor charges $1,650.00 forcataract surgery, and Medicare's approved fee for that operation is only $1,112.50. Medicare would pay 80 percent (or $890.00) of its approved amount, and most "medigap" policies would cover no more than the other 20 percent--$222.50. Thus, unless an additional policy pays more of the doctor's fee, the last $537.50 of the total doctor's fee must come from the patient's pocket.

And Medicare pays nothing foreyeglasses (except for cataracts) or hearing aids; for private-duty nurses or most immunizations; for dental work (except for jaw surgery or bone fractures) or, very often, foot care; for many eye and hearing exams; or for medical care in a foreign country.

Consequently, a serious illness orinjury without broad supplementary coverage or a prepaid health-care plan could leave a patient with such devastating bills that he might almost wish he hadn't recovered. But there are ways to ward off such financial blows--or at least to soften them somewhat.

* The "medigap" between theMedicare payment and the doctor's charge can be bridged by a "participating" doctor--one who agrees to charge no more than the Medicare-approved amount. Directories of these participating physicians are available for $2 from Medicare carriers and Social Security offices.

The rest of this article is only available to active members of Questia

Sign up now for a free, 1-day trial and receive full access to:

  • Questia's entire collection
  • Automatic bibliography creation
  • More helpful research tools like notes, citations, and highlights
  • Ad-free environment

Already a member? Log in now.

Notes for this article

Add a new note
If you are trying to select text to create highlights or citations, remember that you must now click or tap on the first word, and then click or tap on the last word.
One moment ...
Project items

Items saved from this article

This article has been saved
Highlights (0)
Some of your highlights are legacy items.

Highlights saved before July 30, 2012 will not be displayed on their respective source pages.

You can easily re-create the highlights by opening the book page or article, selecting the text, and clicking “Highlight.”

Citations (0)
Some of your citations are legacy items.

Any citation created before July 30, 2012 will labeled as a “Cited page.” New citations will be saved as cited passages, pages or articles.

We also added the ability to view new citations from your projects or the book or article where you created them.

Notes (0)
Bookmarks (0)

You have no saved items from this article

Project items include:
  • Saved book/article
  • Highlights
  • Quotes/citations
  • Notes
  • Bookmarks
Notes
Cite this article

Cited article

Style
Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

(Einhorn, 1992, p. 25)

(Einhorn 25)

1

1. Lois J. Einhorn, Abraham Lincoln, the Orator: Penetrating the Lincoln Legend (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1992), 25, http://www.questia.com/read/27419298.

Cited article

When Medicare No Longer Cares; How to Take the Pain out of the "Medigap" That Lies between Federal Assistance and Actual Costs of Health Care
Settings

Settings

Typeface
Text size Smaller Larger
Search within

Search within this article

Look up

Look up a word

  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
Please submit a word or phrase above.
Print this page

Print this page

Why can't I print more than one page at a time?

Full screen

matching results for page

Cited passage

Style
Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

"Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences." (Einhorn, 1992, p. 25).

"Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences." (Einhorn 25)

"Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences."1

1. Lois J. Einhorn, Abraham Lincoln, the Orator: Penetrating the Lincoln Legend (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1992), 25, http://www.questia.com/read/27419298.

Cited passage

Welcome to the new Questia Reader

The Questia Reader has been updated to provide you with an even better online reading experience.  It is now 100% Responsive, which means you can read our books and articles on any sized device you wish.  All of your favorite tools like notes, highlights, and citations are still here, but the way you select text has been updated to be easier to use, especially on touchscreen devices.  Here's how:

1. Click or tap the first word you want to select.
2. Click or tap the last word you want to select.

OK, got it!

Thanks for trying Questia!

Please continue trying out our research tools, but please note, full functionality is available only to our active members.

Your work will be lost once you leave this Web page.

For full access in an ad-free environment, sign up now for a FREE, 1-day trial.

Already a member? Log in now.