University's Role in Conflict Resolution
Agnihotri, Newal K., Presidents & Prime Ministers
With economic globalization, there is an urgency to help conflict resolution. We cannot afford to lose time and valuable resources and allow the conflicts in different hot spots of the world to affect regional and global economy and the well being of individuals.
The United Nations University needs to take an immediate initiative to multiply the University of Ulster's exemplary efforts by increasing the scope of the Initiative on Conflict Resolution and Ethnicity (INCORE).
A separate institution working under the guidelines of INCORE is needed for each specific area of unrest.
The editor believes that the most effective specific area institution will be a joint undertaking with equally strong partnerships from:
1. United Nations University
2. A university responsible for sharing resources and infrastructure responsibility with the United Nations University.
3. A university located in the affected region.
4. Major international media organizations.
All activities of the specific area conflict resolution institution will be implemented and monitored by the above partnership. Other advisory partners of this institution may include local committee leaders, trade unionists, representatives of the government affected by the conflict and representatives of the governments interested in conflict resolution in the area.
Scope of Work
The web server for the specific area conflict resolution institution, which will be similar to the CAIN web server shall be an impartial repository of information resources on the issues and will include a day-to-day log of facts and figures on the conflict. Information on efforts, activities and progress for the conflict resolution shall also be a part of the server. An open Internet discussion to enable positive and healthy dialogue should also be an active part of this web server.
The institution shall sponsor research projects, conferences and seminars. The institution will also monitor mechanisms to disseminate the results of the research among members of the community, relevant government organizations, academics and the media.
Specific Areas that May Be Part of the Efforts of the Institution May Include:
* Identifying the root cause of differences and conflicts among different countries.
* Identifying commonalties of ethnic, cultural, entertainment and sports backgrounds among citizens of different countries.
* Identifying educational and research efforts that may be shared among countries with differences worldwide.
* Benefiting from mutual trade, research exchanges and other resource sharing to benefit the citizens of countries with differences.
* Providing priority to the interest of citizens as compared to political benefits for different countries.
* Identifying the past failures and lessons learned in the past peace process negotiations.
* Identifying methods to transfer the lessons learned at the conference to the governments of affected countries.
Educational institutions have always been at the forefront of social changes and awakenings. The editor believes that the creation of specific area institutions working with INCORE and with the United Nations University may be helpful in solving not only the current global issues, but it will also help promote peaceful diplomatic tools for future generations.
The above efforts, specifically through its web server service, will also be beneficial in educating the younger generation who are our future leaders.
Just like a family prospers only when all of the family members are at peace, similarly economic globalization can result in a prosperous world only when the individual nations are at peace with their neighbors and with themselves.
Examples of a Few Efforts Thailand-Myanmar Relations
On November 27-29, 2000, I attended a conference organized by the Institute of Asian Studies and Faculty of Arts at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. …