Best & Brightest
- Stephanie Flosi, daughter of Lyndon and Rosemarie Flosi and granddaughter of Fred Flosi, all of Elk Grove Village, was recognized as a National Leadership and Service Award winner by The United States Achievement Academy.
Flosi, who attends Driscoll Catholic High School in Addison, will appear in the United States Achievement Academy Official Yearbook. The USAA National Leadership and Service Awards provide students with benefits and services and is a tribute to a student's dedication, talent and ability.
- Northern Illinois University in DeKalb awarded bachelor's degrees to the following students at its May 11 commencement ceremonies.
Des Plaines: Douglas Gene Bandola, sociology-criminology; Cherry C. Castillo, communications-organizational/corporate; Feliciana M. Copeland, elementary education-general; Laura Beth Glueckert, studio art-design; Jonathan Celdo Grice, art education; Christina M. Lambeau, communications-organizational/corporate; Margaret G. Manahan, elementary education-general; Dipti S. Patel, electrical engineering; Andrew C. Peyer, operations and information management; Christopher W. Polowy, elementary education-general; Julie Anne Rivera, elementary education-general; Van Tu, mechanical engineering; and Caius Wong, studio art-design.
Elk Grove Village: Anne C. Dabrowski, finance; James Ryan Hamilton, operations and information management; Todd A. French, finance; Andrew Steven Jawnyj, mechanical engineering; Anthony N. Petricca, marketing; Kyle C. Richardson, operations and information management; Bradley M,. Sayad, operations and information management; and Donna M. Szilvagyi, nursing.
Park Ridge: Kathleen A. Perry, general emphasis.
- Northern Illinois University in DeKalb awarded advanced degrees to the following students at its May 11 commencement ceremonies.
Des Plaines: Michael Craig Neubauer, master of business administration; and Joann Lea Scholtes, doctor of philosophy.
Elk Grove Village: Amishaben M. Patel, master of science; and Brian Keith Wilk, master of science.
- Northern Illinois University in DeKalb awarded advanced degrees to the following students at its Aug. 10 commencement ceremonies.
Des Plaines: William Arumairaj Susasi, master of science; and Holly Kay Szalajka, master of accounting science.
Elk Grove Village: John Martin Hamann, master of education.
- Northern Illinois University in DeKalb awarded bachelor's degrees to the following students at its Aug. 10 commencement ceremonies.
Des Plaines: Natalie M. Ciardullo, FCS-family and individual development; Elizabeth Mary Joyce, FCS-family social services; and Heyshin Yoon, FCS-child development.
Elk Grove Village: Andrew James Dedes, psychology; Megan Marie Hafer, interdisciplinary early childhood studies; Polina A. Petrova, computer science; and Robert Zbrzezny, business administration.
- Jaclyn M. Kelley, a senior majoring in biology and pre- medicine at Augustana College, Rock Island, performed Dec. 6 with the Augustana Dance Company in the winter recital. The 20-member company performed a selection of dance routines choreographed by students.
She is the daughter of Thomas and Patricia Kelley of Des Plaines.
- Kim Vater, daughter of James and Susan Vater of Elk Grove Village, was selected to play in the Valparaiso University Symphony Orchestra. Vater, who plays the flute/piccolo, is a senior music education major in the College of Arts and Sciences. She graduated from Elk Grove High School.
- Mary Nuzzo of Park Ridge, a senior at North Central College, Naperville, played the clarinet in the college's Concert Winds' fall concert Nov. 22. She is majoring in biochemistry.
- Jill Caronia of Park Ridge, a student at Regina Dominican High School, Wilmette, was recognized as a Commended Student in the 2003 National Merit Scholarship Competition. While Caronia will not continue in the competition for scholarships, Commended Students are recognized as high academic achievers. …