Briefs: Canada Wins World Junior Hockey Title
PARDUBICE, Czech Republic -- Matt Halischuk gave Canada its fourth straight world junior hockey title Saturday night, scoring 3:36 into overtime for a 3-2 victory over Sweden.
After Brad Marchand and Claude Giroux gave Canada a 2-0 lead in the first period, Jonathan Carlsson and Tomas Larsson tied it in the third, with Larsson scoring with 38 seconds left in regulation and goalie Jhonas Enroth off for an extra attacker
With the victory, Canada avenged a 4-3 preliminary group loss to Sweden, the Canadians only loss in the tournament since the 2004 final.
In the third-place game, Russia beat the United States, 4-2. Nikita Filatov had two goals and Alexei Cherepanov and Evgeni Kurbatov also scored for Russia. Rhett Rakhshani and Jordan Schroeder scored for the United States.
* Ben Broussard and the Texas Rangers agreed to a $3.85 million, one-year contract, avoiding arbitration. The first baseman was acquired in a trade with Seattle last month. The Rangers sent infielder Tug Hulett to the Mariners for Broussard, who hit .275 with seven home runs and 29 RBI last season.
* The Mets acquired outfielder Angel Pagan from the Chicago Cubs for a pair of minor leaguers. The 26-year-old Pagan batted .264 with four home runs and 21 RBI for Chicago last year.
* John DeGroat and Shaun Fountain both scored 26 points, Albert White and Kevin Mickens added 21 apiece, and the Xplosion defeated the host Albany Patroons, 121-109, on Saturday.
* In Vantaa, Finland, former NBA star Scottie Pippen scored nine points to help Finland league leader Torpan Pojat beat Honka, 98- 85.
* Point guard Quentin Thomas practiced yesterday with top-ranked North Carolina and is expected to be available for the …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Briefs: Canada Wins World Junior Hockey Title. Contributors: Not available. Newspaper title: Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Publication date: January 6, 2008. Page number: Not available. © 2009 Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All Rights Reserved.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.