Employers Weigh Health Care Options

By Napsha, Joe | Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, September 9, 2011 | Go to article overview
Save to active project

Employers Weigh Health Care Options

Napsha, Joe, Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

A little over two years before the federal government requires individuals and many employers to carry health insurance, uncertainty reigns over costs, how state insurance exchanges will be implemented and even whether the law will survive political and court challenges, experts said on Thursday.

Most companies still are trying to assess the impact of the pending health care reform regulations, said Geri Recht, a senior consultant with Towers Watson, a benefits consultant in Pittsburgh.

"There is no one answer for any one organization. There is a spectrum of opportunities in between play (providing coverage) and pay (for not offering coverage). They have to study it and analyze it" to determine what is best for their company and employees, said Recht, a speaker at the Pittsburgh Business Group on Health's Health Care Futures symposium at the Pittsburgh City Center Marriott in Uptown.

About 80 percent of the respondents to the Pittsburgh Business Group's membership survey last year said they plan to offer health care benefits in 2014, while the remaining 20 percent are exploring other options, said M. Christine Whipple, executive director of the 75-member business group that advocates for cost-effective health care coverage.

"Nobody said they would drop it," Whipple said of health care coverage.

The event attracted about 300 health care consultants and benefits managers -- more than last year. Whipple believes attendance was greater than last year because it is getting closer to when mandates take effect in 2014.

Costs will be the primary driver for what companies do, and how to manage those costs will be the challenge, said James M. Winkler, managing principal for Aon Hewitt, a benefits consultant in Norwalk, Conn.

Winkler's firm is organizing an insurance exchange that will combine buying power to get the best price for health insurance products.

"I think half of the marketplace could end up in there in five years," Winkler said of the insurance exchanges.

The rest of this article is only available to active members of Questia

Sign up now for a free, 1-day trial and receive full access to:

  • Questia's entire collection
  • Automatic bibliography creation
  • More helpful research tools like notes, citations, and highlights
  • Ad-free environment

Already a member? Log in now.

Notes for this article

Add a new note
If you are trying to select text to create highlights or citations, remember that you must now click or tap on the first word, and then click or tap on the last word.
Loading One moment ...
Project items
Cite this article

Cited article

Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

Cited article

Employers Weigh Health Care Options


Text size Smaller Larger
Search within

Search within this article

Look up

Look up a word

  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
Please submit a word or phrase above.
Print this page

Print this page

Why can't I print more than one page at a time?

While we understand printed pages are helpful to our users, this limitation is necessary to help protect our publishers' copyrighted material and prevent its unlawful distribution. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Full screen

matching results for page

Cited passage

Citations are available only to our active members.
Sign up now to cite pages or passages in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.

Cited passage

Welcome to the new Questia Reader

The Questia Reader has been updated to provide you with an even better online reading experience.  It is now 100% Responsive, which means you can read our books and articles on any sized device you wish.  All of your favorite tools like notes, highlights, and citations are still here, but the way you select text has been updated to be easier to use, especially on touchscreen devices.  Here's how:

1. Click or tap the first word you want to select.
2. Click or tap the last word you want to select.

OK, got it!

Thanks for trying Questia!

Please continue trying out our research tools, but please note, full functionality is available only to our active members.

Your work will be lost once you leave this Web page.

For full access in an ad-free environment, sign up now for a FREE, 1-day trial.

Already a member? Log in now.

Are you sure you want to delete this highlight?