2 Branches of Library Are Close to Completion
Leigh Anne Porcher St. Charles Post Special Correspondent, St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)
The two new library branches in O'Fallon are getting closer to opening.
The Middendorf-Kredell branch on Highway K should be completed by March 24. The district will need to install wiring and cables for computers and telephone systems, set up shelving and furniture and build the circulation desk before the site is ready for use, said Maggie Preiss, a spokeswoman with the district.
The branch should open by early May.
In a meeting Monday, library trustees tentatively approved the low bid on shelving from Safe Business Systems of Manchester for $59,201, contingent that the bid covered all district requests. District officials are reviewing the bid.
Earlier this month, the district opened bids for the second library, the Deer Run Branch in northern O'Fallon. The board Monday accepted the low bids on all aspects. Board members approved bids totaling about $465,000. It approved bids for:
- General works, from C. Jungel of Affton for $352,342. That bid will drop by $2,455 if the district decides to use a grade beam rather than dig a foundation.
- Electric, from K.B. Hart of St. Charles County for $60,725.
- Mechanical, from C&S Heating and Cooling of Wentzville for $38,880.
- Plumbing, from C & C Plumbing of St. Charles, for $15,667.
- Sprinklers, from Bast Co. for $1,459.
The two O'Fallon branches will replace the site at O'Fallon Plaza. Deer Run will serve the north county area.
Meanwhile, district officials continue to look for land in the Harvester area. …