Anger Boils over as Death Toll Climbs in Quebec Train Crash; Province Premier Slams U.S. Rail Chief
LAC-MEGANTIC, Quebec * The first victim of a runaway oil train's explosive derailment in a Quebec town was identified Thursday, more than five days since the disaster, which left behind a scorched scene so dangerous that it slowed the search for 50 people presumed dead.
Quebec's premier toured the traumatized town and sharply criticized the U.S.-based railway's chief for not responding in person more quickly to Canada's worst railway disaster in nearly 150 years.
Police said four more bodies had been found, bringing the total found to 24.
The first victim to be identified by the coroner's office was Eliane Parenteau, 93, who lived in the disaster zone in downtown Lac- Megantic. Those who knew her described her as being active for her age.
The devastated downtown remained dangerous for days after the crash as responders put out fires and struggled to keep the remaining oil tankers cool so they wouldn't explode. The hazardous conditions delayed the search for the missing and now for bodies.
Officials also have warned that identifications would be made more difficult by the incinerated scene.
Conditions had at least improved enough for nearly all the 2,000 residents forced to evacuate after the crash a third of the population to return home, the town's mayor said.
Quebec Premier Pauline Marois arrived in town …
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Anger Boils over as Death Toll Climbs in Quebec Train Crash; Province Premier Slams U.S. Rail Chief. Contributors: Not available. Newspaper title: St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO). Publication date: July 12, 2013. Page number: A17. © 2008 St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All Rights Reserved.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.