Fast Forward: All the Fun of the Fair ; Trainers That Turn into Skates, a Fish-Eye View of the Underwater World, and More Interactive Games Than You Can Shake a Joystick At: Welcome to Kids' Heaven, Courtesy of This Year's London Toy Fair
Martin Skegg, Michael Oliveira-Salac, The Independent (London, England)
Clockwise from top left
1. Phonics Firefly Something for the pre-school age group, to aid in the development of language and speech skills. Children learn letter sounds, simple words and the alphabet from the Firefly's digital voice. It's battery-operated (of course) and includes information for parents on the educational aspects of the toy. Ages three upwards. pounds 25. For further information call 01438 726002.
2. Undersea Encounter An aquarium with a difference. The undersea periscope gives children the opportunity to experience the world as fish (without getting wet). There is a food-release pod to entice fish up to the scope, providing close-ups of our aquatic friends. For authenticity, the tank comes complete with shipwreck, caves and tropical plants. pounds 30. For further information call 020-8560 5678 or www.letoy.co.uk
3. Candyfloss machine Candyfloss is always a favourite with kids, and now they don't have to go to the funfair to get it. Easy for children to use and very quick (it takes just 30 seconds to whip one up), it has already proved a huge hit in the US. It's portable and comes with a rechargeable battery. pounds 30. For further information call 01827 67888.
4. Ozbozz Sneeker Wheelers The very latest in children's transport - a pair of trainers with integrated inline skates. Hidden in the base of the shoe is a set of wheels, which can be deployed at the flick of a switch for instant skating fun. If the going gets rough, or steps need negotiating, the wheels are just as easily retracted. Available in March. pounds 30. For further information visit www.ozbozz.co.uk
5. Ultimate Saturn V Rocket One for space adventurers and wannabe Nasa scientists. The Saturn V is 3ft tall, and has a sound chip to reproduce launch countdowns and, for added authenticity, it vibrates as well. A resource book explains how the rockets were originally launched and the science behind manned missions to the Moon. Suitable for ages five upwards. pounds 35. For further information call 01438 726002.
6. Taiyo Edge Hovercraft OK, so the educational value may leave something to be desired, but kids (and dads) always love something remote-controlled. This uses genuine hovercraft technology, complete with an air cushion, so it is capable of travelling on land and water. …