Hearing Scheduled on Advisory Report / during Council Meeting
Driskill, Matt, THE JOURNAL RECORD
The council will hear and consider public comments on the report, which recommends that city officials consider placing several items before city voters to improve the infrastructure of Oklahoma City and to enhance the quality of life.
Some of those measures which the advisory council recommends being placed before voters include:
- An increase in the city's sales tax;
- An increase in the city hotel otel tax;
- The sale of general obligation bonds.
These fund-raising measures would be applied toward several capital improvement projects which the advisory council deemed necessary to attract businesses to Oklahoma City and to enhance the quality of life for residents.
These projects include:
- A $75 million domed stadium to seat about 75,000;
- A $20 million to $30 million baseball stadium;
- Building the necessary facilities to attract the 1989 U.S. Olympic Festival to Oklahoma City for the city's centennial celebration;
- The establishment of a 911 emergency telephone service;
- And overall improvements to the city's infrastructure such as street and sewer improvements. …