WASHINGTON, D. C.
September 17, 1920.
TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE CARNEGIE ENDOWMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL PEACE:
On the 19th day of April, 1917, the Board of Trustees, at its annual meeting, pledged the Endowment to take such steps as lay in its power to aid in removing the obstacles still standing in the way of the establishment of a truly Permanent Court of International Justice. The resolution in this behalf was worded as follows:
Resolved, That the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace shall make a special effort to overcome the remaining obstacles to the establishment of an International Court of Justice, and to this end the Executive Committee is authorized and directed to take such action and at such time as it may deem proper.
This resolution had, upon the motion of Mr. Andrew J. Montague, already been adopted by the Executive Committee at its meeting of January 4, 1917, and referred to the Board of Trustees for its approval.
At the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees on May 5, 1920, Mr. Elihu Root, President of the Endowment and Chairman of its Board of Trustees, stated that he had accepted membership in an Advisory Committee of Jurists invited by the Council of the League of Nations to prepare a plan for a Permanent Court of International Justice. Mr. Root requested that the undersigned be given a leave of absence to accompany him in an advisory capacity. This request met with the unanimous approval of the Trustees. The undersigned therefore accompanied Mr. Root, attended the meetings and, on occasion, participated in its proceedings.
In accordance with the practice of the Endowment, he presents the following report.
JAMES BROWN SCOTT, Secretary and Director of the Division of International Law.