Earth, and local news, news from around the world and filler material that included fiction, fashion news, and travel features.
Beaulieu died at Barrows, Minnesota, on August 8, 1917, and was succeeded as editor by the Reverend Clement H. Beaulieu, his brother, who promised to continue his editorial policies.
In November, Mrs. Gus Beaulieu sold her interest in the paper to a group of White Earth businessmen: Benjamine L. Fairbanks, John Leecy, A. P. Fairbanks, Henry Selkirk, Theo. Beaulieu, and R. G. Beaulieu. Clement H. Beaulieu remained the editor, and Lee Logan was business manager. This group, known as the Tomahawk Publishing Company, promised to continue the editorial policies of the founder and to champion the cause of Chippewas and Indians throughout the country. From March, 1918, to September, 1920, the newspaper was published by the Tomahawk Publishing Company as the official organ of the Minnesota Chippewas. The editorial duties were probably borne part of this time by Logan, who was listed as editor and publisher in the fall of 1920. The paper had also been purchased by that time by Benjamine L. Fairbanks ( 1855-1921), who was apparently the largest partner in the group of businessmen who purchased the paper after Beaulieu's death. When Fairbanks died in late 1921, his estate retained Logan as editor and promised to continue its pro-Chippewa and pro-Indian editorial policy. Logan edited the paper until the fall of 1926, when James B. Sweet published it briefly before the Fairbanks estate sold it.
Throughout this period, The Tomahawk contained much the same type of information as it had in earlier years. Like his brother, Clement H. Beaulieu took strong stands on issues such as Chippewa natural resources, Indian citizenship, and administration of Indian affairs. The paper also contained items relating to organizations such as the Society of American Indians and the Tipi Order of America as well as articles, letters, and poems by Chippewa writers such as Theo. H. Beaulieu and other Indian writers such as Leta V. Smart, Carlos Montezuma, and Gertrude Bonnin.
In late 1926, L. A. Weston bought The Tomahawk and in early 1927 moved it to Calloway, Minnesota, renaming it The Calloway Tomahawk, which was edited by A. H. Lockwood. While it continued to publish some White Earth news, it dropped its pro-Indian stance. It apparently ceased publication later that year.
Throughout its existence, The Tomahawk contained detailed accounts of the affairs of the General Council of Minnesota Chippewas. Despite the strong editorial stands, especially those taken by the Beaulieus, the newspaper is a valuable source of information concerning the Minnesota Chippewas.
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: Gregory